At the end of January, Amanda said she wanted to show me and Linda, an American missionary, how to make a cylindrical object. Although I was very nervous, it turned out not to be so difficult to form after all. Amanda guided me through molding the clay around an old Tupperware canister which was wrapped in cloth. When my form emerged, and I could safely remove the mold, Amanda suggested that Linda use the same canister but with stiff card around it. Meanwhile I added a handle, formed the other side into a spout and secured a base to the bottom of my jug.
The first stage in creating a milk jug/beaker
A week later my jug had dried successfully albeit was very wonky-looking, providing great mirth in the studio. Linda's jug which had been smoother and perfectly formed, had cracked and broken. I decided on a color scheme change and painted my crooked jug bright blue. I added a daisy on opposite sides.
The painted jug before it's bisqued and fired in the oven
Amanda baked our items while I was out on leave so it was only when I returned to the studio on Tuesday that I saw my jug.The other three ladies were admiring it as I walked in.
The finished article
Another angle on the unique Mwadui Milk Jug!
Here's hoping you're all having a great week so far.